Friday, 13 May 2016

14/05/2016 Mechanic Ideas, Approaches

Decided to get some feedback on my project and the main mechanic I'm exploring "Hello everyone, I'm sure at least a few of you know that I'm currently working on a prototype for a game currently for my capstone project at Animation College. My player avatar has a rock arm which is part of the main mechanics of the game, and I've been mulling over ideas of how to go about it so I thought I'd share some with you to get some feedback on approaches I could take. The first idea is how the hand would move, and I thought controlling the hand with a mouse movement in mind could allow a more immersive and interactive way of punching objects/enemies and could include some physics to it (for example a psuedo double jump by jumping and swing the heavy arm upwards after). This arm could be potentially 3D to better fit the freedom of movement. Another more standard approach would be to animate the hand along with the character and you would click (either anywhere on screen or at specific target locations) to punch etc. I'm trying to keep game feel in mind and of course I would need to test these ideas for it but I wanted to know if anyone had similar mechanics or knowledge about the ideas I'm thinking of. Link to my Project Blog: http://bronzeorigin.blogspot.co.nz/ Link to my DA: http://chinnaru.deviantart.com/ Images are below and on my blog to get a better idea of what I'm going for.Feel free to ask any more info on it. I know this post is a bit of a mouthful but thanks for reading and having an interest in my game/ideas. Good luck to everyone here :) Thanks, Leighton Browne"

2 comments:

  1. I think it sounds like a good idea, certainly. The 3D could potentially make for some interesting opportunities, but I feel like the 2D would have a bit more control, (assuming the 3D moved around with the cursor.)

    Plus, if the 3D moved with the mouse movement directly, it would create a bit of a different experience with controller users, under the assumption that controllers would be supported at some point.

    I definitely like the idea of it operating with separate controls from her, though. It would enforce the fact that they're two separate entities having to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Voleno :).

    Controllers would cause some difficulty for the hand mechanic if I did go down that route.
    I'll have to think a bit more about controller inputs

    ReplyDelete